Covid Days: How Do You Rona? Husband / Wife Edition

 It's been a few weeks now since we enjoyed a rivoting case of Covid.  In typical form we both came down with it together and spent about 10 days having the time of our lives with coughs, headaches, body aches and overall thrills and adventures only Covid can bring.  Shortly after Covid was settling down we ended up both getting the stomach flu.  Fun times were had by all and we fast grew stir crazy going from one sickness form to another.  I mean we've always been a "what we do one, we do all" kinda couple but we could have done without this lil adventure.  One thing became very apparent to me during our roughly three weeks in the house:  we do covid and sickness very very differently.  Here's just a few ways we noted our distinct differences:


1.  He moves.... I don't.  At one point we both were running fevers and overall just dead on our feet.  The  husband was still  up working, washing dishes, running laundry and putzing around the house.  I went to bed and stayed there.  Period!  I got up to get a drink, take a shower or take meds.  Otherwise I was just down for the count.  He's like the energizer bunny he just keeps going no matter how bad he felt.  I caught up on new shows, old shows and Hallmark movies. He watched sports and read his books alongside all his normal "chores" around the house.  When you are sick you get to go to bed and be done.  That's my motto


2.  Meds vs no meds:  I was sucking down nyquil and tylenol was consistently in my system every 4 hours keeping me comfy.  He pushes the limits and waits until he is miserable and then with much reluctance takes meds.  I'm over here like a drug pusher tryin to get him to take it down and he's looking at me like I'm nuts.  I am and always will be the one that says "give me something" and he's the one that will suffer until he can take it no longer.  I'm the woman who marched in the maternity ward to have her first baby and quickly and many times proclaimed "I want an epidural!!".  They finally told me I could stop saying that because they have it noted.  Hey I wanted to be sure they all knew I'd take the drugs please. 


3.  Back up and at it vs. give me one more day:  I bet you can tell who says what.  My husband pops back up and starts doing "normal" again based on the amount of days he's been sick.  I get back up and running based on how I feel.  If it takes a week, it takes a week.  He is over there busy telling his body we are done now let's move on.  At one point I heard the treadmill buzzing away downstairs.  I went down there to say "WHAT?" get off that thing and rest.  You are coughing your head off.  I think he just pretends it is over.  I, on the other hand, am under the quilt and do not emerge until I feel like normalcy is returning. In his defense, as a mom of three kids all close in age I was so used to pushing through sickness while maintaining a home and family that now I kinda feel like I get to take my time and go slow.  I just married someone who doesn't go slow. Good thing one of us isn't a sloth.

One thing is certain I married a very hard working and diligent person.  It is one thing that I do love about him despite the fact that I am the complete opposite.  He powers through and I dive under the covers away from the world.  I take my time and wait until I feel like I can "do life" again.  He gives himself a few days and then he's back at it regardless of how he feels.  One of us is an adult and the other is me :)

 

Bottom line is this:  I need to be more of him and he needs to be more of me.  I take that to mean we are well paired.  I can't imagine if we were both the same.  We would never get things done.   Yes, this post just proves  it to the world.  I'm the lazy bum of the couple and he's the getter done kinda dude.  The good news is we both let each other do our thing.  Me trying to be him is like stuffing a square peg into a round hole.  It just won't happen. (yes we both tried and it was a disaster)  If he was trying to be me we would be in big trouble.  It's always been our joke that he is the hard worker and I'm the entertainment.  

Rona ran her course through our house.  I'm glad that is done.  Finally it's time to move on to more enjoyable things.   I've come out from under my quilt and am ready to take on 2023.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Things You Must Know As A Mid Life Woman

I'm Owning It. I'm A Pool Karen

Let's Get This Party Started!